Friday, October 16, 2009

Vacation Day 3: Turner Falls

Normal people would put on their tennis shoes if they knew they were going to go hiking--especially if they knew they were going hiking in the mountains.

Not me.

I prefer to hike in my flip flops. I know, how gallant (or stupid?!), right?! In fact, I didn't even pack tennis shoes! However, I didn't fall or get injured, so we'll just say I was gallant.

 Moving on!

Like most great adventurers, we began our hike knowing where we wanted to go, but not exactly sure how to get there. Before swimming in the falls, we wanted to make it to the castle.

We started down the mountain and soon came to a cave:
Cave Entrance
Right behind Ali is where we came in. I know, I know...gallant!
              
CaveFam


Hike1

JRocks
The men folk got to do some extra exploring down in this rocky area.
I was a bit jealous, but I had my motherly duties to tend to--
Like hiking down a steep, very rocky part of the mountain with 3 children
(plus my Mom and siblings) in search of my manly, rugged husband.
Which really was ok with me--I want him to keep his spirit of adventure!

At last, we found the castle (nevermind that we found out it would have been MUCH easier to go a different way):
Castle1


Cross-Process Castle

Castle2

Castle3


After hiking back up to our vehicles, we had a quick lunch and went back down to the falls, where we spent the afternoon--

Turner Falls
Swimming in the freezing, but gorgeous falls,


Feet Dippin
 Relaxing beside the cool, clear streams,

Jax Nap
and napping in the Mommy-made shade.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I love the owl motif you have now and I love, love, love that last photo in this post!!

The Rouse House said...

Hiking in flip flops is probably the norm now days so never fear :) That castle is very fun!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Where was this place?

Lisa

Karma said...

Beautiful waterfall! I too have worn my flip flops in situations that called for real footwear. Oh well!