Monday, November 16, 2009

Why Poison Control Should Be On Speed Dial

I called Poison Control on Thursday morning. I think a call there is a given if you have small children, but this is not the first or even the third time I've called them:
Sydney had reflux when she was little and I had to give her Xantac and Reglan. One time I gave her her Reglan and then realized I wasn't sure when I had given her the earlier dose. No harm done.
After I had Ali, Sydney got into a bottle of stool softener and ate some of the pills. Again, no harm done.
Awhile back one of the girls got into the "childproof " gummy vitamins and ate what was left--about 10 or so. Nope, no harm done there, either.

But yesterday as I was teaching in the kitchen, Jaxon started screaming. It was the scream that every Mom (or Dad) dreads. It was a really high pitched scream, a mixture of fear and pain. I hurried into the living room to find my Air Wick taken apart and laying on the floor with Jaxon nearby, his mouth covered in red oil.
I scooped him up and washed his face off, but he wouldn't quit crying. I had to put him down so that I could call Poison Control (that didn't go over well). The lady I spoke with was really sweet and reassuring. It's a strong irritant, so he wasn't likely to have ingested a lot. It just has a hot, peppery taste and burned his little mouth. I was instructed to give him something to drink to help dilute it and warned that he might have an upset stomach.

I took some pictures of him after he had nursed. The redness is hard to see on here.
It had already faded quite a bit by the time the pictures were taken.
IMG_5590

IMG_5594
True to form, he was still as happy as could be.
Bless his little heart!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad to hear he is ok!!! On a lighter note I bet he smells good!!

Heather said...

Ah, the stool softeners. Sam did the same thing when I was pregnant with Abe. They need to not make it look so much like candy!

Anonymous said...

It's interesting with three kids, isn't it? I'm happy he's okay.

Michelle said...

Poor little guy!! I'm glad he's ok too!

Valerie said...

I am so glad he is OK!! I don't want to admit how many times I have called Poison Control with my kids...at one point we wondered if they had a special alarm that went off when we called them??!! SRS never showed up even after all the calls, so relax! These things just happen!!! God protects them, that is for sure!!!