Monday, December 8, 2008

Blinds and Neurosis

In a fit of neurosis the other day, I decided to wash my blinds.
Ok, that's not exactly how it went. We've been working on our kitchen lately, adding bi-fold doors to separate the laundry and dining room, cabinet hardware, and floor and door trim. Oh, and painting...
Once you get going, it's hard to stop. Soon we found ourselves organizing and decluttering (Spell check says this is not a word. Whatever. It is to me.) the whole room. Luckily my children tore up the blinds by the kitchen table a long time ago, so we went and bought new ones. Actually, the only 'lucky' thing with that is they're only like $3 something a piece. Oh, and I didn't have to dust them. That brings me back to my story about washing my blinds. The ones over the kitchen sink weren't broken, just really, really dirty. Let's be honest--Dusting blinds is b-o-r-i-n-g. So, I thought it might help if I soaked them in the tub for awhile to get some of the dust off.

IMG_3282_2393

Ali thought it would be fun to help. She's so good at that. Look at her--She wanted to help with laundry too. Washing blinds, Ali, and clothes ALL at the same time. I am Supermom! Not quite...
Soaking them doesn't really do anything. I still had to clean them off one by one. I guess I'll start dusting in the kitchen more than every 2 years...Especially the blinds.

5 comments:

The Rouse House said...

I've always wondered if it's better to dust blinds you already own or pay $3 for new ones. I have yet to make that decison so that means I have extremely dirty blinds! Maybe it's time for a fit of neurosis around here... Oh wait, it's Christmas so I guess I can make that a New Year's Resolution!

Anonymous said...

I tried soaking blinds once and came to the same conclusion. We have since taken down all of our blinds and have mostly curtains...that the children enjoy pulling down so that the rods come out of the walls. It's a lose lose situation, really.

The Rouse House said...

P.S. from me:
You should post pictures of your updated kitchen look!

Karma said...

I found the best way to clean blinds is to lay them in on the driveway, use a car washing brush and spray off with a garden hose. Now our driveway is dirt...and my blinds are dusty.

Valerie said...

Dirty blinds, but the helper is too cute! You get the cutest snapshots!