Friday, February 13, 2009

Pimp Your Blog!

I've been asked a few times how to do different customizations on Blogger. I'm no expert--far from it, in fact. I just happen to know some photographers who share websites with me and I've learned what I know from that.

So, here are a few things that might help:

http://sjhblogdesign.blogspot.com/

This site is where I learned how to post the backgrounds and other papers you see on my blog. It seems overwhelming and a little bit tricky at first, but if you have time, it's a lot of fun. It's a lot of trial and error at first, so make sure you preview each change as you go. That way, when you have to go back and fix something, you know which one to fix.
This has you set your blog up with the Minima blog template, but I use Minima Lefty Stretch because of the big pictures I post on here. They won't fit with the normal Minima template...that, or I haven't figured that one out. Good possibility. If you do choose to do the Minima Lefty Stretch, you'll have to tinker with the margins, etc in order to get everything to fit correctly. Oh, and the header size I use is 900x300. I make those in Photoshop, but there are other programs available.
I also changed the font on my blog through this website, and there are several other tutorials on here for various things.

-------------------------------

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/blog-secrets/144-how-to-make-your-own-background

I haven't tried this one out yet, but am planning to for something a little different. It seems like other than the designing part, this one would be easier because you aren't dealing with all of that html. The site that she links to seems to be a potential jackpot in digital scrapbooking, but it is sometimes difficult to find the file to download unless it's been recently posted. A lot of times the links to download on the designers' sites are only good for a short amount of time, so going back in the archive of freebies isn't always helpful! Just something to watch for! =)

A note about downloading digital scrap files: They'll most likely be a .zip file. If you haven't used compressed files before, you'll need software to "unzip" them. I use Universal Extractor. It's been the easiest for me to use, and it's free. =)


-------------------------------

How to remove the navigation bar at the top of your blog


-------------------------------

How to make the pictures big:

BloggerTUTThis is probably hard to read on here, so I'll try and explain it, but I'm very visual...so if it doesn't makes sense, e-mail me and I'll send the picture to you. =)
When you upload a picture, you see all of that html nonsense. A few rows down, you see this:
cursor: pointer; width: 400px; height: 296px; " Delete all of that but the ". On the next row or so down, you will see s400 followed by a / and more html. Change the 400 to 800. No other # value that I know of will work.

I think that's it for now. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to help figure things out, but I can't make any promises. Like I said, I'm no expert. I just read and plug things in where I'm told to. =)


5 comments:

Valerie said...

Cool...but that all reads like a graduate level college course to me. I will have to try it sometime...scary! I always worry about losing all I already have...

Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
drea :: dre of white stables said...

If you preview as you make each change and don't like something, you can just erase it, or don't press save. It shouldn't mess it up as long as you don't save the changes until you're done. =)

mamafish said...

Thanks! I will surely be trying some of those changes! It's part of the fun of blogging, personalizing it!

Karma said...

Thank you! I can't wait to have some free time to play!!