Thursday, April 30, 2009

Age Ain't Nothin' But A Number

Writing is a funny thing. I started this post 3 days ago. I was determined to write a well thought out post with good, strong paragraphs displaying a cohesive thought process. In high school, I could throw together a 5 page paper in an hour and a half, the day before it was due. Blogging should be a breeze, right?

Funny thing is, I didn't get far. I don't know about all of that cohesive thought business. It doesn't seem to work for me anymore (I call that being a Mommy). Last year, I got bored with putting captions under pictures that obviously showed what was happening anyway, and started writing the way I talk. Now, blogging is one of my favorite things.

Without further ado, and hopefully some cohesive thought, I'm going to try again with my 3 day old post. Ahem.

I dropped my sister off at Friends University the other night for a meeting of sorts. As I was driving on the road in front of the dorms, I saw two girls about 19 or 20 coming out of one of the buildings. I began comparing where they were in life to where I was. They were happily chatting together, headed out for a carefree evening, albeit normal stress of a college student was in there somewhere, I'm sure. Me? I was driving in my minivan, hair pulled back with my mind on getting home to my family--a husband and three young children. It was supper time, and I needed to get the soup going. I must be at least 10 years older than those girls, right? Not quite--Four years at best. Still, I was feeling so much older, so out of place thinking of the difference between us.

Don't get the wrong idea. In no way do I regret the life I have. I became a Mommy in less than ideal circumstances, and I was young; but it was the biggest blessing in disguise I could have imagined. I was saved from a lot of heartache, and got to know my Jesus in a very real way for the first time during that period of my life. There are consequences I still carry from the decisions that I made, (my many thoughts on this I will save for another post) but the Lord has blessed my decision to follow Him and that is why I am where I am today.

I am in a very different stage in life than a lot of people my age, but that's ok. It used to be a tough thing for me because I didn't really have friends my age, but I'm beginning to see that age doesn't really matter anymore. Most people I know who are my age are either unmarried, newly wed, or just having their first baby. Other friends are well established with many years of marriage and children under their belts. I enjoy having friends in all ages and stages of life.

It's never been just Jason and I, and we're ok with that, too. We love raising our children and enjoy having a bigger family. We don't feel like we're missing out on anything, but do look forward to the day when it will be 'just us' for the first time. It will be like a second honeymoon, only a lot longer. If the past 4 years is any indicator of how things will be, which I believe it is, things will just get keep getting better.






4 comments:

Karma said...

It does keep getting better! I used to feel that way too. Now I look at women my age that are just starting their families and laugh. When my youngest turns 18, I will be 46. I will be a young Grandma and have energy for my grandkids. And...when Chris and I are alone again, we'll be young enough to still enjoy life before the walkers and canes come out!

Kyle said...

If I have a baby a year for the next two years I will be caught up to you! But the way you guys are going you will have a couple more by then and we will be behind once again. :)

It is nice to have someone my age that loves Jesus, her husband, and her babies. You teach my a lot about being a mom without knowing it. SO I'm blessed to be your friend!

Kyle said...

p.s. I'm jealous your blog is always cuter than mine

mamafish said...

Andi! I think I have said this before, but it is worthy of another version. I am amazed at how much growth you have made since I first "met" you. I actually felt a connection even at the beginning of your pregnancy with Syd. As you have evolved I continue to enjoy the person that you are. I think that our age and consequent behavior reflects our respective lives. I also think that if you have come out of some rough patches with wisdom and positive perspectives you are a strong and lucky person (I catagorize myself in this same place). You my friend are awesome! Keep on with your bad self and follow your path(s). Your babies will be wonderful people that reflect the world that you and Jason have made for them. Be young when it counts and old and wise when necesary and all will be balanced.

(Sorry-long winded, but you know I am a jabber mouth and can't be concise...)