Thursday, November 5, 2009

Flushed

I never think that we have a dull moment around here, but today that would have been an understatement. I was inside with Ali, who had been sent in for "flushing" things down a pipe in the backyard. My brother text me and was looking for Jason. I went outside to let Jason know and Ali followed me out. She went to look at the puppies who were playing on the porch/patio with Sydney.
I was gone literally 15-20 seconds at the most when I came back around to see Ali leaning over the 8 inch pipe with a puppy in each arm. She told me that a puppy was down the pipe. Sure enough, I could hear her crying. I'm pretty sure she was getting ready to put the other two down there as well. We got the kids inside and Jason put a long piece of quarter round down the hole to see if we could guesstimate how far down she was. When he kept going and the top of the pipe was level with his shoulder, I got nauseous. 

We ended up calling the Fire Department, and the first truck arrived soon after the call was made.
IMG_5570
Soon after, the Fire Chief came to check it out, and then another truck arrived.

The pup settled down and went to sleep, but her breathing began to slow so they gave her oxygen.
IMG_5573
It wasn't waking her up enough, so they turned it up higher to get her jittery.

The second crew that arrived brought a 12 ft pipe bore and ran a hose down the middle.
Two guys held and balanced it while a third guided it down. Once she was "high" enough, she jumped right into the loop they made and they were able to pull her up on their first try.

No broken bones, just a little shaky from her oxygen high
IMG_5575

The firefighters put a whole lot of duct tape over the hole, and we'll be filling it soon.
IMG_5577
Our best guess is that this was access to an old well.
We've never known for sure.

IMG_5578
Reunited and it feels so good!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ali sounds just like Finn. I am always finding things in holes. Never animals though...

Kimi said...

Oh No! Glad everything turned out okay, those Puppies are so stikin' cute!
~Andrea you need a vacation =)~

Anonymous said...

OMG...she sounds just like Isaac too! I can't imagine how you felt. I feel bad for whoever moves in next to us someday because there is a whole lot of toys in their plumbing hole! :)

Michelle said...

Poor puppy! That brought a few tears to my eyes!

Monica said...

I'm so happy the little pup is doing well and reunited with his siblings.

That must have been so scary and also so odd to have those firetrucks parked in front of your house!

Valerie said...

WoW! What a STORY! Glad it turned out OK! And yes, thos epuppies are adorable. Do they shed? Eat much? Get big? Poop or pee on floors? Grow big? Chew up things? Haha!?!? Do they lick floors clean and eat dust bunnies too?

Karma said...

Sounds like an exciting day at the Coslett house! Glad the puppy survived, he should be named Lucky.