I am writing all of this to share my heart. I don't have a large blog following, and I'm glad. It's more intimate this way, and many of you are my very dear friends. I feel like we are called to be there for one another, to lift each other up--So here I am.
For almost 5 years, I've felt haunted by what I have come to call my Scarlet Letter-Not the same situation as the book, but the same feeling, nonetheless. At first, it was my testimony, but the farther I got from that place in my past, the less I wanted to talk about it. I like the depiction of the perfect young family. Our marriage, our house, our 3 small children. OUR children--all 3 of them.
I've faced many emotions, ranging from fear for my safety and fear of the unknown, to shame, anger and regret. It's hard when I've known I have been forgiven, but still felt bound by it. I still immediately scan the area when I'm in public. I avoid Quik Trip, and get nauseous & shake if I think I see him (which I have, but he didn't see me and I was able to leave). It's become habit for 4 1/2 years, something I still think about each day.
I think that sometimes forgiveness--having our slate wiped clean--isn't viewed that way. As humans, we still see the sin. We still remember the hurt and shame. I still cringe when I have to make an appointment for Sydney because her last name is my maiden name. It feels like a constant reminder of the former, a slap in the face. "Look--she was an unmarried mother... "
Yes, we want Jason to adopt Sydney. No, it hasn't been pursued yet. The first few years of marriage are tighter financially, and we've also had a fear of rocking the boat, so to speak. I got a no contact order put in place when I was pregnant with Sydney and I haven't talked to "him" since. It will be 5 years in November, and that will also be 4 years since Jason and I have been together. He is the only Dad she has ever known, and he completely loves her as his own. The lack of genetics to biologically bind them in no way lessens their bond, or his role as her father. Period.
Truthfully, I am the one that struggles the most, because I'm the one that made the mistakes. I cannot tell you how much I hate it. I cannot tell you how many tears I've cried. If only I would have waited. If only I would have known my worth. If only...
Like I said, I would love to say my husband is my only one. I would love to say that I didn't make completely foolish decisions. I can't. What I can say, is that who I was is not who I am. As my husband said to me last night, "Here are two stories. Pretend you don't know who I'm talking about:" (I am paraphrasing)
There was a girl who grew up in church, but decided to go her own way. She lived a partying lifestyle all through high school, and was involved in a very toxic relationship. She got pregnant shortly after high school and wound up alone.
Then there was a girl who had made some bad decisions, but decided to give her life to the Lord. She got married to a loving, forgiving man, they bought a house and now have 3 children. Her husband adores her, and she adores him as well.
Doesn't sound like the same person, does it?
I don't know that girl anymore. I don't have to wear that Scarlet Letter. It doesn't sound fair..."but the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair."-Relient K I can rejoice today because I am no longer bound. My decision to put off the former life has been rewarded, even though I didn't deserve it. I'm getting ready to celebrate my 3rd wedding anniversary and I can do so without having to worry about people thinking, "Oh, they've only been married 3 years? But they have a 4 year old daughter. I thought they were Christians." You bet we are. That doesn't mean that I'm required to be perfect. It doesn't mean that I am any less of a Christian now because of what I once was. I was unworthy of redemption, but the price was already paid.
I try to 'keep it real' on here, and this is just a post from my heart. It's not an easy one to write. I know there will be some who may judge me anyway. I know some may not understand. That's ok. I'm writing it as my blog therapy. I have no one to impress, nothing to prove. I may be a bit scattered and random, but that's ok, too. I'm just me, and I'm finding peace.
As a side note, I was listening to the radio today, when "East to West" came on. This last part nearly had me in tears, as I had just been thinking of what to write for this post, without it being my words:
I know You've washed me white, turned my darkness into light
I need Your peace to get me through, to get me through this night
I can't live by what I feel, but by the truth Your word reveals
I'm not holding on to You, but You're holding on to me
You're holding on to me
Jesus, You know just how far the east is from the west
I don't have to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other...
I need Your peace to get me through, to get me through this night
I can't live by what I feel, but by the truth Your word reveals
I'm not holding on to You, but You're holding on to me
You're holding on to me
Jesus, You know just how far the east is from the west
I don't have to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other...
Sweet relief.



11 comments:
Everyone has a scarlet letter of some form. Some people can hide their scarlet letter better than others can. Fortunately for us God is color blind. :)
No one is perfect. My dad adopted me when I was two and I have never met my biological father. I grew up happy and loved. Syd is lucky to have such a great mother and wonderful father.
You are braver than most to be so real, and that is admirable. Happy Anniversary, girlie!
Thanks for this story Andrea - it made me cry. You are brave for sharing and I am thankful for the God that we have! You are very lucky to have the wonderful husband that you do.
(And on a different note your new layout and font are beautiful!)
Andrea, as I am sure you know if you didn't have that "letter" you would not have what you have today! You are an awesome lady and this was what I was referring too when I said you have changed/grown so much since we met you!
2 Corinthians 5:17 is my daily reminder. When I am having a rough day, I post it all over the house. (Posting it on my back was painful though)
Thanks for sharing your heart. God has used your past to his glory!
Anyone can be a father. It takes someone special to be a Daddy.
Thanks for sharing. God is good all the time. It is a blessing when we recognize that. Missed you today at church. Hope your week is blessed.
Andrea,
Thank you for trusting us with your, I mean, God's, story. It takes courage to share one's testimony; I haven't shared mine as often as I've been directed to. There are many who can relate to the rhythms of our hearts--we were all made in His likeness and breathe the same air.
Here's a verse that's calling to me lately.
"Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits, Who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, Who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." Psalm 103:2-5 (NIV)
Can we pray for each other to accept healing every day? I'll never forget the wounds of my past, but I am learning to see the beauty in my scars.
My eyes filled with tears while reading your blog because you touched my heart! THANK YOU THANK YOU! I guess in a way I needed your words today. Rather or not they are visible we ALL carry a little something we wish we didn't, however mine isn't nearly as BEAUTIFUL as your little sydnee! And she is nothing less then my little cousin :) And soo glad you are also! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Andi-You are the exception to the rule. You have taken an experience that would topple many people, and grown from it. You took a "mistake" and nurtured it into a treasure. I know many people that didn't honor the situation as well, and theirs are stories that make me sad and angry. Yours, makes me smile. You had some bumps in your road. You virtually flew over those bumps. Miss Syd is a beautiful child and will grow to be a beautiful person, thanks to her parents (you and Jason!).
I absolutely loved reading this. Touching to say the least. I was a child like Sydney and I was adopted by my Mom's husband, at 22 I know my biological father but nothing compares to the love I have for the man that raised me. Being a unwed mother myself, I can relate to many things you said. While we are still together now, who knows what the future may hold.
Post a Comment